How to take card payments over the phoneProduct Information 1 December 2017
Taking debit and credit card transactions by phone is easy. All you need to have is a piece of software called virtual terminal or MOTO which acts as an “online card machine” and allows merchants to take card payments over the phone in a fast and efficient way. You can access your virtual terminal from anywhere and from any device as it is web-based.
Taking payments over the phone is ideal for securing deposits in advance, or for retailers who operate remotely. It’s a great way to reach customers with different needs, increase sales, and process transactions quickly and efficiently.
How to take payments over the phone
The process for taking payments over the phone will vary, depending on your provider. You’ll need to:
- Log in to your virtual terminal with the account details your provider has given you.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to enter the customer’s details. Usually, you’ll need their long card number, the card’s expiry date, and the card security code.
- You might be required to ask for further information for security purposes, such as the name on the card, or the billing address.
- Submit the transaction and keep the customer on the phone while it is being processed (this is a good time to get any other information you may need, such as their postal address).
- Once the payment has been approved, ask how the customer wants to receive their receipt (email, post, with the delivery etc.).
The process usually only takes a few seconds and the funds will typically be deposited into your merchant account shortly after the transaction has been completed.
What are the benefits of taking payments over the phone?
Taking payments over the phone gives you a whole new avenue for processing transactions and offers many benefits:
- Simple setup: you can process payments on a computer, laptop, tablet, or mobile, allowing you to choose the best option based on the way you like to run things.
- Efficient customer service: it’s quick and easy to process transactions, so you can provide a straightforward service that will keep customers happy.
- Email receipts: satisfy your customers (and the environment) with email receipts that are sent out as soon as the transaction is approved.
- Suit your business needs: phone payments can be processed from anywhere you can access your virtual terminal, so you can do business in a way that works best for both you and your customers.
- Multi-user access: more than one employee can use the phone payment system, allowing you to expand your services.
Phone payment options: how to get a virtual terminal for your business
Our virtual terminal service allows you to start taking phone payments in as little as 24 hours. After you’ve signed up and been approved for a merchant account, you’ll receive setup instructions within minutes, so you can get started right away.
You’ll be able to accept all major cards, including Visa, Mastercard, Maestro, and American Express. We also offer 24/7 support, in case you need help or have any questions.
Our virtual terminal is safe and secure, so you can rest assured you and your customers are protected. Beyond using the latest fraud detection software and Tier 1 DSS compliance, we also run random, real-time security checks to maintain security.
A virtual terminal allows you to interact with customers in a whole new way, expanding your services and improving the efficiency of your business. The simple and modern set-up means you can tailor phone payments to suit you. Speak to our experts to find out more, or get a free online quote and open your services up to a whole new set of opportunities.